Friday, July 26, 2013

Cost

Many people ask about cost so let me start you off with a cost break down from my surgeon as of my surgery date July 29, 2013.


Cost Breakdown:

Surgeon's Fee: $5,500
Anesthesia Fee: $725
Operating Room Charges: $750
Recovery Room: $275
Testicular Implants: $1,750 (those are some expensive balls!)
______________________________________________________
Surgery Grand Total: $9,000 
(and this fee is due in full two weeks prior to surgery)

Then of course, there is travel and lodging which will differ for everyone depending on where you're from. 
If you live near by to the place you're having surgery then recovering at home is going to be cheaper then paying for a hotel room. Travel is cheaper if you are going down the street vs. if you're going to another country etc.


This is my estimate of travel and lodging and I will update this after I actually make the trip.

Hotel: $520 for 8 night stay at La Quinta Inn (I got the room with a fridge and microwave so preparing food would be easier and cheaper)
Fuel: ~$230 according to MapQuest Fuel Estimator for my car (approx a 10 hour drive from MA to OH)
___________________________________________________________________
Estimated Travel and Lodging Total: $750

Other things to consider regarding money:

  • Food Money while you're out there healing. I got a room with a mini fridge and microwave and am bringing a bunch of non-perishable items that I've been collecting from sales over the last few weeks. This is in part because I'm a vegetarian and I didn't want to leave it up to my non-vegetarian friends hunt me down vegetarian food everyday, but mostly I did this to save money because getting take out every night is expensive.
  • Medications Post-Op - not sure how much they cost yet
  • The money you're going to lose from being out of work and bills that you have to pay even though you're out of work! For reference, the Doctor said people with a desk job would be back to work in 2 weeks, and people with a more physical job would be back to work in 4 weeks. I have a physical job so I needed money for the bills to be paid in the next month.
  • (Optional) Activity Money for doing stuff while you're out there, but honestly I don't think I'm going to be doing much of any site seeing. lol I plan on doing lots of sleeping, plus I'm bringing my Xbox360 w/ Netflix, my laptop (and laptop tray because obviously this laptop wont be resting on my junk anytime soon), and Nintendo 3DS with a bunch of games. Point being, if you really want to save money while you're traveling for surgery you can stay inside, rest, and just watch movies/play games or whatever makes you happy.
Okay, well that's the cost information. I'll update sometime soon, hopefully before surgery, with information on why I've chosen this procedure so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard without the UL healing is fast. How did you go about deciding on with or without that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dontazz, I am not having UL during this surgery but I have every intention of having it somewhere down the road. I have not ruled out phalloplasty later on, so I do not want to extend the urethra until I have decided what my last step will be (meta or phallo). UL is complicated and I don't want to make it even more risky by rerouting the urethra multiple times. I have just posted a new blog update where I discussed this in greater detail. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

      Delete